Monday 30 May 2011

I'm Grumpy Today - How time flies!

Well here we are another Bank Holiday is about to end. I don't know about you, but I feel as if I have been on holiday for the last two months. I guess that could be one reason why I haven't felt in the mood to do any writing of note. I have however, been reading a great deal, mainly books on learning the craft of writing. So whilst I haven't put pen to paper, I have been carrying out intensive research.

I have also been reading a lot of winning stories in various competitions, in particular those submitted by other students to Writers Bureau.The standard of the writing is so high, I am wondering why those students have actually signed up for a writing course. In my opinion they don't need to, but then as a novice writer, what do I know?

I signed up for the WB comprehensive creative writing course to become a successful writer, to obtain individual guidance from expert tutors, to learn how to improve my writing skills, and be shown - in the words of the WB advertisement - "... exactly how to become a published writer." The other selling point of the course for me was "It's ideal for beginners. No previous experience or special background is required." And, finally WB states the course is accredited by the ODL Quality Control and they are a member of the British Institute of Learning and Development. Great I thought, sounds like a good place for me to start my learning.

But, having signed up in September 2010, sending in the first assignment in February 2011 and still dithering with assignment 2, I am beginning to feel out of my depth. More so, when some students  comment on the Students Forum (which is rather basic)  that are new students and are also struggling with assignments 1, 2, 3 and so on, then go on to say they have not only won prize in the WB competition, had articles published in various magazines etc., but they have also written and published their novel/s and short stories, before they have completed the assignments. All of which makes them successful writers in my book (please excuse the pun). This again raises the question, why do these successful writiers need to sign up for a writing course?

I was thinking about entering the WB short story competition, but having read previous entries, and not having got past Assignment 2 of the course, I don't feel my writing is of the high standard required. In addition, as the competition is open to non-students and advice on writing is being advertised regularly on the WB's Blog, I am now wondering why I paid nearly three hundred pounds for the course. Especially as the course materials don't contain anything different  than my extensive collection of books on the craft.


On a final note, I have recently noticed that the website of  The British Institute of Learning and Development (which Writer's Bureau advertise that they are a member of) has disappeared. I have clicked on the link on the Writers Bureau's website  and all I get is that the domain name is registered to a UK2 client and  the website is no longer available, So what's going on there then? Has the British Institute of Learning and Development folded? Do Writers Bureau know they are advertising a website that no longer exists? Do Writers Bureau even know the link doesn't work. Say's a lot about how often WB's website is updated. Probably consentrating on their Blog! :-)

Well that's the end of my gripe for today. Hope everyone had a great Bank Holiday. Pity about the weather. Still the sun is just begining to shine here inYorkshire, so maybe I'll take a drive out and look for inspiration.

Later...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline

    I'm forced to agree re the WB course. I feel it is not really set up to help you develop your writing - more to find ways to slow you down and attempt to sell anything (mostly letters, from the forum) in order to recover your costs.

    The feedback I've received is entirely positive and, therefore, unconstructive. I was informed one piece was well written but unmarketable. I sent it out anyway and it's a half page feature in a national magazine this month.

    I'm not sure what I'm gaining from the WB...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil,
    I'm glad someone else thinks the same as I do. And, a BIG Congratulations on having your half page feature in a national magazine. I hope you have informed your tutor, just goes to show that not all 'experts' are experts!

    As you indicated in your blog which magazine your feature is listed, I will have a look. Well done.

    I will keep plodding on with the course, mainly because I hate being defeated and worse, being defeated and out of pocket. If there is one good thing that has come out of the WB course, it’s ‘meeting’ budding writers. Maybe we should start a student mentoring blog to encourage each other. Please keep in touch.

    Kind regards.

    Keep smiling, keep laughing and keep writing!
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete