Thursday 15 March 2012

Writer’s Block and How I Overcome It

When I find myself questioning my abilities I view 'writer's block' as a writing exercise.


I usually begin with a blank page and write at the top 'Writer's Block - What it means to me at this moment' and then I write down my answer. I set myself a target of at least 12 paragraphs, with the first word of each paragraph beginning with the letter of the title e.g. Para 1 first word beginning with the letter W, Para 2 first word beginning with the letter R, Para 3, first word beginning with the letter I, and so on. I also give myself a target of about 50 words in each paragraph.

After I have done that, I reward myself by taking a break (my vice is chocolate and cream cakes) by going for a short walk, meet a friend for a coffee, or visit a member of my family, anything to get out of the house and away from the 'writing mode.'

If it is too late in the evening to go out, I pick up a book and read or listen to some music - accompanied by chocolate and cake of course!

By the time I am ready to review what I have written for my 'Writer's Block' exercise, I think, 'this is a load of twaddle and I can do better' or an idea for a short story springs to mind and I start on that.

What I try to do is see 'Writer's Block' as a challenge that I can surmount and a stepping-stone to fulfilling my dream. So what if it does take another 22 years to complete my book? Just thinking about all that chocolate and lovely cream cakes is worth it.

So how do you get over writer’s block?


Keep smiling, keep laughing and keep writing.
A1Writer x

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just to let you know about a little present I'd like to give you. Pop over to my latest blog post for details.

    Enjoy!

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather, This has really cheered me up. Been looking after my mum who is very poorly and just come out of hospital. So not been able to make much progress on my blog for the past few weeks. Having a few hours respite at the moment, but mum comes first. Will try and pass on the present to others in a few days.

    Kind regards.

    Pauline
    A1Writer

    ReplyDelete